A freight forwarder is an individual or company that organizes shipments for an individual or company. The freight forwarder will contact the air carrier to help transport the cargo.
If you or your company needs to ship items locally, domestically or internationally, you must deal with air freight forwarders and freight carriers. The following 5 points highlight some of the key differences between freight forwarders and carriers.
1. A freight carrier, as the name suggests, is the person or group that is responsible for the physical transportation of goods from one location to another. This can be done by plane as well as by ships, trucks and trains. Air carriers pick up and deliver goods to commercial centers around the world with extreme speed and reliability; ocean carriers sail from major ports around the world and are ideal for oversized shipments; rail freight carriers are a cost-effective solution for shipping goods ; Road freight carriers are also effective, including LTL and FTL services.
2. If the carrier is located in the US and handles US domestic shipments, it must be registered with the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. This ensures that employees are personally responsible for transporting any and all shipments from origin to destination.
3. The first difference between freight forwarders and carriers is that they are mainly responsible for the goods of individuals or companies. They plan and organize how to get large orders from manufacturers or producers to the market or final point of distribution. They are the ones who start the whole process by communicating with customers, warehouses and trucking companies around the world.
4. Freight forwarders are responsible for arranging the transportation of their customers’ goods, which means they have to contract one or more carriers for their customers. Professional and savvy freight forwarders will also advise on all documentation and customs requirements for the destination country. If they cannot be overseas, then they should have a corresponding agent who will keep them informed of matters related to the goods being transported.
5. Air freight forwarders are dealing with international sales and goods, then they will arrange the goods to various international locations. This requires an in-depth understanding of commercial invoices, bills of lading, export declarations and other issues related to import and export regulations. They are also responsible for ensuring that goods exported or imported by customers enter a country.
Whether it is an air freight forwarder or a carrier, it is an indispensable part of cargo transportation. They enable you to expand your business and reach customers around the world. Basenton freight forward can design an effective transportation plan for you and your company, so that you can get the best freight transportation.